To start with the review.. Surya plays a double role as a Circus artist and also as the much anticipated ‘Bodhi Dharman’. You can get to know who is Bodhi Dharman HERE (since I have already explained about this legend).
I actually do not want to reveal the movie in the name of review (as every other blog does), but would like to add some criticism both +ve & -ve comments. These would help people who had actually watched the movie, people who are raring to catch this movie and expectation is at-least one from the movie crew reads this post.
Suggestions on the movie (for the people who are yet to watch the movie):
The movie teaches that Tamil ethical values are the best in the world and also the Tamil people are the pioneer in culture/medicine/martial arts etc (which is very much TRUE). This movie makes you feel the forbidden truth that we all have been forced to loose and destroy our own culture by the foreign races who have ruled us, and the truth is - we are still loosing it.
You can understand how a BIO WAR will be launched in a country and how it spreads, a very clear picturization of it, makes you awe.
These points make the movie – “a must watch” movie. But please watch the movie in a big screen, and do not go with the hype that media is spreading then you would just end up like ‘Endhiran’ J
The movie gives a message that there is a hidden skill in every one of us, and it dies along with us without being shown to the world and everyone must try and master their unique skills with some practice.
Suggestions on the movie (for the people who have watched the movie):
As we all know this is not a “Ghajini” thriller nor an “Endhiran” as the movie has been tagged in Sci-fiction. But objective of the movie is to make people understand that our History is important, and the movie succeeds in the delivering the message. Other than that there is ‘nothing in the movie’L. It starts off like a Documentary movie, which could have been narrated better.
A poor screenplay and script in the first half, followed by an extra-ordinary opening 20mins. Though the 2nd half tries to build up the pace of the story, everything is predictable and would make you to yawn. I would say all the song s**ks except “innum enna thozha”, Harris Jeyaraj has done a terrible job in the songs and in BGM. Let’s see what are the + & -.
Positives: (in the order of scene sequence)
· The Pallava dynasty set up – a must watch in big screens
· Bodhidharman character and the art direction for the 1st 20 mins of the movie
· Operation RED & Bio War plans
· The DNA concept – (a bit logical though)
· Killing looks of Johnny Tri Nguyen – (the one scene where he cannot succeed in hypnotizing surya)
· Surya’s well toned six pack
· Suriya’s dialog at the climax and making us understand the importance of our history
Negatives: (in the order of scene sequence)
· Very short span of Pallava dynasty – (Could have extended for some more minutes)
· Starting the movie like a Documentary – (who had given his voice for narration? Terrible…)
· Songs & BGM by Harris – (Please look at the music & instruments used in Ayirathil Oruvan, before pulling chords to an ancient period movie scenes)
· Whole circus troop and concept – (It doesn’t make any impact or reveals any talent or hard work of Surya in these scenes)
· Lack of humor – (Nothing like Ghajini, I still don’t understand why ‘Guiness Pakru’ was pulled in)
· Choice of Shruti Hassan – (She fights for Tamil, but her Tamil pronunciation is poor and amateurship in acting skill and body language is yet to be fine tuned. Get some lessons from Daddy)
· Over use of ‘Hypnotism’ – ( You are using ‘Johnny’ !! not some Nepal stuntman, I really don’t know how ARM missed to utilize his Martial art specialization in the movie, most of the scenes were just hypnotism based – Kind of irritating)
· Chinese govt people speaking Indian accent English with Sub-titles (ARM should’ve considered giving some reality to those scenes) and Indian people speaking American accent English without sub-titles (What is going on!)
· Poor Casting of people (Right from the inspector who shoots himself at Chennai, till the Shruthi’s friends, doctors etc)
· Very boring first half
· Climax fight (How does that differ from a Singam or Aadhavan climax fights?? Where is the martial art everyone is expecting from the re-incarnated Bodhi dharman)
This is overall an Okay movie with certain amount of sagging-screenplay, but delivers a strong message at the end.
I would RATE 2.9 out of 5.0 for the Movie
(Kindly comment on this post and share your thoughts)